How will this course help me?
This online course will provide you with the knowledge to recognise early signs of poor mental health and suspected mental health conditions, and give you the skills to start a conversation and if necessary, signpost the person towards professional help.
You will learn:
- What mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for Mental Health
- How to offer appropriate information and practical support to a person presenting with poor mental health
- How to recognise and manage stress
- How to recognise a range of mental health symptoms and conditions
During the 2-week period you will cover:
- Module 1 – Introduction
- Module 2 – What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Module 3 – Identifying mental health conditions and early signs
- Module 4 – Providing advice and starting a conversation
- Module 5 – Stress
- 1-hour online session 1
- Module 6 – Mental health conditions and behaviours, including depression, anxiety, psychosis, eating disorders, suicide and self-harm
- 1-hour online session 2
- 1-to-1 Video assessment which takes up to 30 minutes
What are the entry requirements?
This qualification is available to people aged 18 years or over. You must be able to read and self-learn the reference manual and additional resources that we will provide you with.
You will also need to use a computer with a reasonable internet connection in order to access the distance learning resources and communicate with the trainer/assessor.
How long does it take?
The qualification will take five hours:
- Two hours of guided learning (with our facilitators on a live Zoom session, with a group of fellow participants)
- Three hours of self-study
You must complete the course and the assessment within a two-week period.
What resources will I have access to for self-study?
We use an online learning platform for the self-study part of the qualification. This means that you will be given secure access to a website where you can access resources, videos, useful links, quizzes and reflective study elements.
You will also be able to connect with other learners via a discussion forum where you can share, provide support and ask questions of your fellow learners.
You will be able to message MHScot with any questions, while tracking your progress and we will provide you with ongoing support and encouragement as well as being able to make notes and bookmark lessons.
How will I be assessed?
The qualification is assessed by a professional discussion with our facilitator and evidenced by a recorded video call, which takes around 30 minutes.
This recording will be kept following the First Aid Awards Ltd Data Protection Policy and will not be shared with any person except for quality assurance purposes by FAA, the centre providing the training (MHScot Workplace Wellbeing) and the regulatory bodies as required.
There is no grading of the assessment – you either pass or are referred for further training and assessment.
What qualification will I get?
After completing this course, you can decide whether to receive:
- FAA Level 1 Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health (RQF)
- Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health at SCQF Level 4
The qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement. We recommend that you attend annual refresher training.
How much does it cost?
The standard price per group is £640 +VAT (£42 +VAT per person), based upon a maximum of 15 participants. Please contact us to get a quote for your organisation based upon your particular needs.