How will this programme help me?
We understand that it’s not always possible, or practical, to have staff on full or half-day courses. So we think we’ve hit upon a great way to give your employees a ‘taster’ session of some of the key workplace mental health and wellbeing issues.
These short sessions are suitable for everyone in the workplace and are a great way of encouraging a learning and development environment in your organisation. This will also help to create a consistent message and promote a culture of change.
Best of all, as the courses are run at lunchtime, they are highly accessible and can become a part of a normal working day.
What sessions can you offer?
Understanding mental health and wellbeing and steps to promote good wellbeing
- Providing a definition of mental health and wellbeing and how it impacts every area of our lives, myths and facts
- Introducing the mental health continuum and how we might fluctuate within it
- Identifying our own risk and protective factors and steps to promote good wellbeing
Your attitude matters: tackling stigma and discrimination
- Understanding how our attitudes are formed and the social stigma attached to mental health
- The impact of stigma and discrimination in the workplace
- Understanding internal and external stigma and ways to reduce it
Looking after your mental health and wellbeing at work
- Identifying how we can look after our mental health and wellbeing at work
- Introducing wellness action plans template and how to use it to promote good wellbeing and support a person when they are experiencing poor mental health and wellbeing
How to support and signpost someone who has poor mental health and wellbeing
- How to start a conversation with a person who you think might be suffering from poor mental health and wellbeing
- Signposting a person to both internal support at work and external resources
Self-care: an introduction to mindfulness and meditation
- Understanding the practice of mindfulness and meditation and how it can promote resilience and good mental health and wellbeing
- A practical meditation exercise for the group
Nutrition and physical exercise
- Understanding the importance of nutrition and physical exercise and the impact on our mental health and wellbeing
What is stress and identifying the cause and effects
- The definition of stress, what causes stress both in the home and at work and the difference between pressure and stress
- Warning signs of stress at work and tips to mitigate stress in the workplace
Understanding resilience and the key characteristics
- The definition and importance of resilience
- The key characteristics of resilience
- What makes a resilience person and how to build resilience
Building resilience to mitigate stress
- Using the Wheel of Life to explore resilience in more depth
- Asking questions to help participants reflect on areas of their own lives that they already have good resilience and possible areas where they could improve
How to improve time management skills
- Get an understanding of how good time management skills can help boost your mental health and well-being and help you to achieve your goals
- Learn techniques to help you develop your time management skills
An introduction to depression
- Recognising the signs and symptoms of depression
- The risk factors for depression, treatment and support for depression
An introduction to anxiety
- Recognising the signs and symptoms of anxiety
- Understanding the different types of anxiety, treatment and support for anxiety
An introduction to psychosis
- Get an overview of psychosis and an understanding the of the different types of psychosis (bipolar and schizophrenia)
How does it work?
For you and your staff to get the most from these sessions, we recommend group sizes from around 15 people upwards.
Where possible, we will encourage people to participate in the sessions using a piece of great software, called ‘Mentimeter’, which allows your staff to confidentially ask questions via their mobiles.
How long does it take?
Each session lasts approximately 45 minutes, including a Q&A session.